eLivermore.com - By Bill Nale

 

Livermore History - Wineries - Ruby Hill

Back to: Home Page  -  Main Photos Page  -  Historical Photos Main Page

   


More Livermore Winery pages

   
Previous Page   Page 1:  Raboli, Pioneer, Chateau Bellevue Wineries and a Postcard
Page 2:  Mont-Rouge and Vienna Wineries
Page 3:  Cresta Blanca
Page 4:  Pressing Grapes, at Cresta Blanca
Page 5:  Bottling and other functions at Cresta Blanca
Page 6:  Ruby Hill
See Also:  Harvest Wine Festival Page 1 - Page 2.
     Old & New Ruby Hill Winery - 19 page section
 

Next Page

Click here for the New Ruby Hill Section. 
19 pages of photos of the old and new photos.

The Ruby Hill Winery was built in 1887 and burned in the 1989.  It is located off of Vineyard road, about a mile west of Isabel.  The building was demolished in 2002, and a new building, designed to look very much like he original has been constructed, using the original bricks for the facing.

The Mitchell Katz Winery is located at the new building.  Their tasting room has a number of photos including several of the spectacular fire in 1989.  Their web site contains additional photos also, including the demolition of the old structure and construction of the current one.  The tasting room is open Saturdays and Sundays from 11:00 to 4:00.

 


Ruby Hill Wine Cellars, 1896.  Looking east.


Ruby Hill Winery


Ruby Hill circa 1971.
 


Pictures taken toward the west, April 2002, from the Ruby Hill housing area.  It appears that only the northern and southern walls were still standing.  Braces can be seen holding up the southern wall.
 

 



The sign has the same letters missing on both sides.  This sign was on not at the winery, but a small road nearby leading to ranches.  It was replaced ~early 2002 with a new sign indicating "Ruby Hill Ranch"  Picture taken  June 2000.



Tree lined road leading to the winery.  Picture taken in June 2000, before the new winery was built.  The road turns to the left beyond the palm trees and leads to the old winery, which is well off to the left.

Go to Ruby Hill Section
19 pages of photos of the old and new Ruby Hill Winery

Next Historical Page (Altamont)

Photo of Early Livermore Cover Page The Book
Early Livermore
contains 128 pages of Livermore Historical photos and commentary.
It is available for 19.99 plus tax at the
Livermore Heritage Guild History Center at the Carnegie Building.
Click here for more information

About These Photos  

Web Page Copyright 2003 eLivermore.com