Livermore History -
Page 1: Summit School
Page 2: Summit Hotel, Altamont Library
Page 3: The Concert at Altamont, and it's connection to American Pie
See Also: Railroads, Altamont SP railroad station
Altamont is located in the Altamont hills east of Livermore, on what is now Altamont Pass Road, but was Highway 50. There are a few buildings existing, including the Summit Garage, and on old warehouse.
Altamont was established in 1868 when the SP railroad line was put in. The SP right of way can still be clearly seen in the area. The Western Pacific tracks (now Union Pacific) are slightly north and are still in use by freight trains, and the Altamont Commuter Express.
Altamont had a railroad turntable to turn around helper steam engines, which were used to get the trains up the hill from Livermore. There was another turntable in Livermore, which can be seen on the 1889 poster, to turn the engines around for another trip up the hill.
Summit Public School in the Altamont Most
of these photos were taken July 21, 1969. The School has since been torn
The "Summit Public School" sign in the photo below is now displayed in the Duarte Garage in Livermore.
Summit School. This photo is older than the others. The building looks in pretty good shape here. The sign, fence, and flagpole are still in place.
The school was built in the late 1800s, and was used until about 1955.
Inside the Summit School, July 1969
Two fence posts, where the gate was, appear to still be in place.
contains 128 pages of Livermore Historical photos and commentary.
It is available for 19.99 plus tax at the
Livermore Heritage Guild History Center at the Carnegie Building.
Click here for more information
|About These Photos|