eLivermore.com - By Bill Nale
The ideal postcard to introduce Livermore to a
It provides a web site to find everything they want to know about Livermore and the Tri-Valley to support their visit!
This postcard was given out at the Rodeo Parade on June 14, 2003 by eLivermore.com.
The postcard celebrates the many scenes of the
great city of Livermore.
It is designed to the Post Office specifications for mailing at the postcard rate (23 cents).
To obtain copies of this postcard, click here.
The Photos are:
|Upper Left||The Flagpole, Masonic Building, and the Schenone Building. South West corner of 1st St. and Livermore Ave.|
|Upper Right||The Bank of Italy Building and Livermore Cyclery. The middle building is the remaining portion of the McLeod building. The right building was originally Dutcher's Hardware. North East corner of 1st St. and Livermore Ave.|
|Bottom Left||Wine Press at Concannon Winery.|
|Bottom 2nd||Cabernet Sauvignon Grapes at a Livermore Winery|
|Bottom 3rd||The Clock at Lizzie Fountain. North West corner of 1st St. and Livermore Ave.|
|Bottom Right||SP Railroad station on the east side of L St. near Railroad Ave.|
|Click the location above for a complete description of each photo.|
See the original uncropped photos
Photos by Dave Gangola and Bill Nale
|Upper Left Photo - Flagpole, Masonic Building, Schenone Building|
The Flagpole has been a landmark in Livermore since 1905. The 100 year anniversary will be on September 9, 2005. It is well placed, appearing right in the middle of 1st St as you are driving east through downtown. It was moved to its current location on March 27, 1959 (Good Friday), originally being about 15 or 20 feet further north. In its original location there was a constant problem of it being hit by cars. Update: The flagpole was removed on October 7, 2004 (see photos), due to claimed structural problems. It was replaced by a fiberglass flagpole on June 17, 2005 (see photos).
The Masonic Hall (on the left, behind the flagpole) was built in 1909. The ground floor has been used by various businesses including banks and currently a comic book store. The front section of the 2nd floor was also used by businesses, including a dentist. The Hall itself is in the southern portion of the 2nd floor with the front of the hall at Livermore Ave. The street entrance to the hall is also on Livermore Ave. The third floor contains a kitchen and banquet hall. The link below contains photo of the view from a 3rd story window.
The Schenone building (on the right) opened in June of 1914, 5 years after the Masonic Hall. The center portion was the entrance to the theatre, which was built directly behind it. Originally the Bell Theatre, the name changed several times before settling on the State Theatre name in 1931. The tickets were purchased at the front of the Schenone building, then a hallway led back to the theatre, the screen being at the wall at 2nd St. The theatre building is now the Theatre Mall on 2nd St, housing a number of shops. Quizno's Subs opened in the left side of the Schenone building in 2003, after "coming soon" signs were in the window for at least a year. It ceased operations around early 2004. Another "coming soon" sign has been in the window for a Mexican restaurant for many months. The building went through a remodeling in 2002.
Additional Photos and information:
This photo was taken in the early evening on May 11, 2003, when the sun was hitting the front of these buildings. The photo was taken from near the Bank of Italy Building while standing in a parking spot on Livermore Ave looking south, and slightly east.
|Upper Right - Bank of Italy Building and Livermore Cyclery|
click for larger photo
The Bank of Italy Building (on the left) was built in 1921, replacing the McLeod Building (see photos). It was built for the Bank of Italy, which became the Bank of America. Is now the home of the Independent Newspaper. From 1957 to 1978 it was the Livermore City Hall.
Bank of Italy Building
View of these buildings from the 3rd
floor of the Masonic Hall
The middle building is the remaining portion of the McLeod building, which was torn down to make room for the Bank of Italy Building. The McLeod building was built in 1883, and held various businesses including the Bank of Livermore and the Herald Newspaper. Most of it was torn down in 1921 when the Bank of Italy building was built. The right side of the McLeod building is what remains, but it is hardly recognizable from the McLeod building photos. This building was until recently part of Livermore Cyclery, containing the entrance, sales counter, accessories, and office. The upstairs was an apartment. Livermore Cyclery has moved about a quarter mile east. This building is scheduled for demolition when this block is redeveloped. Update: The building was demolished Sept 20, 2004.
Dutcher's Hardware Store (on the
right). This building is over 100
years old. Along with the middle building, it will be torn down for
redevelopment. This building was Dutcher's Hardware store for many years.
See Photos, more
photos. The front doors and door
frame contain many local brands, from branding irons that were worked on at the
hardware store. This building was also part of Livermore Cyclery until
containing the bicycle inventory and the shop.
The "Moving" sign for Livermore Cyclery can be seen in the photo. eLivermore.com has
taken a large number of photos of this building, including the upstairs
apartments for historical purposes, with the kind assistance of Livermore
Cyclery. These are not yet on display. Update: The building
was demolished Sept 20, 2004.
This photo was taken about 8:30 in the morning on May 17, 2003. That time provided the proper lighting and the desired quantity of parked cars (zero). It was taken from the park across the street, looking north-west. There would normally be a street light pole obstructing this view, which we removed temporarily to take the photo. I hope the duct tape holds. Actually, the light pole was removed through the magic of digital photography by taking a second photo offset slightly and overlaying a piece of it onto the first photo. At least that's our story.
|Bottom Left - Wine Press|
|This historic wine press is located at Concannon Vineyards, south of
the main winery building.
It was used from 1884 until 1978 by Concannon Vineyards, producing around 70,000 cases of wine in total. It was the only wine press in use by the winery for virtually all of that time period.
It was originally built as a cider press in Maine, and shipped around the horn to San Francisco, then brought to Livermore by James Concannon just a year after planting his first vineyards. Its pulleys were most likely powered by steam originally, and later by electric motors.
Photo taken September 2, 2002, during the Harvest Wine festival.
|Bottom 2nd - Grapes|
|Cabernet Sauvignon grapes at Cedar Mountain Winery in
This photo was taken on September 1, 2002 during the Harvest Wine Festival at the vineyards along side of Cedar Mountain Winery. The photo was taken looking east.
See our Winery Page.
|Bottom 3rd - Clock|
|This clock is located at Lizzie Fountain, on the NW corner of
1st St. and Livermore Ave.
The plaque by the clock reads:
This Howard replica clock (c. 1900) was installed in the fall of 1995 as a memorial for Robert L. Howard owner of Livermore Cyclery and member of Livermore Main Street whose volunteerism reflected his true commitment towards the revitalization of downtown and the quality of life for its citizens.
This photo was taken in the morning on May 17, 2003. After extensive research, we determined that the photo was taken at about 8:47. It was taken from the opposite corner of 1st and Livermore, across the intersection, looking almost straight west.
|Bottom Right - SP Railroad Depot|
Click for larger photo
The Southern Pacific Railroad Depot was built in August 1892, along the tracks that were part of the original transcontinental railroad. The railroad tracks have since been moved. The brick chimney collapsed in the 1906 earthquake, and was replaced by a metal one. The station was not used by the railroad after 1961. The building was almost torn down in the early 1970s. It was saved by the Livermore Heritage Guild, which was formed for this purpose. They restored the building in the 1970s, and it is now used by various businesses. The restored building once again has a brick chimney, matching the original. It is located on the east side of L St, just south of Railroad Ave. The tracks were just north of the station, and ran where the buildings of the shopping center are now located (see photo links below)
This photo was taken in the mid-afternoon on March 1, 2003, months before the idea of this post card came about. Taken from the west side of L Street, looking north east.
SP Depot Historical Photos
SP Depot Current Photos
Description of the Railroads through Livermore.
|Copies of this Post Card|
You can obtain copies of the postcard at no cost while supplies last by email at:
Web Page, photos, and the postcard Copyright © 2003 eLivermore.com