Livermore History - Wayside Chapel
Thanks to Pastor Paul D. Van Noy (assisted by Bill Turnquist) for the description and Photos
The Wayside Chapel was built by Mr. Carl Carlin in 1938 at what is now 545 North “L” Street. An annex was built somewhere around 1940. Then a new larger sanctuary was added to the North of the original Chapel around 1944 – both still in place and used today!!
The brick was added to the front of the buildings in 1958 (see brick in picture titled 1997) which was actually used brick taken from the old town of Tesla (see attached 1958 article). Carl was both the pastor and deputy sheriff here in Livermore.
In 1988 Pastor Paul Van Noy, Carl’s nephew took over the church and faithfully kept it going until 1996 when he stepped down and moved to Idaho to start another church. Sometime in late 1977 the steeple burned and was not replaced.
This church is still a landmark today in Livermore as a Calvary Chapel.
Wayside Chapel around 1938
The addition of the first Annex around 1940
The new sanctuary, around 1944. The original chapel is to the far left.
The same buildings in 2011 now as Calvary Chapel.
Carl Carlin in front of the Livermore Post Office.
Revival poster, 1951.
Strange as it Seems comic.
1958 Newspaper Article
Web Page Copyright © 2012 eLivermore.com