eLivermore.com - By Bill Nale

 

Livermore History - Aerial Photos 8

Back to: Home Page  -  Main Photos Page  -  Historical Photos Main Page

 


More Aerial Photos:

 
Previous Page Page 1:  ~1960 photo with labeled buildings and streets
Page 2:  ~1955 photo with labeled buildings and streets
Page 3:  Drawing from 1889.
Page 4:  1993 USGS Aerial Photo with labels
Page 5:  Junction Ave School ~1970s, East 1st 1970s
Page 6:  East Ave, 1963; Downtown ~1928
Page 7:  Junction Ave & downtown; downtown about 1930
Page 8:  1936 Photo, 1963 photo of the Labs.
Page 9:  The Airport prior to 1969
Page 10:  Veterans Hospital.

Next Page

The 1936 photo, the Labs and the Airport


Livermore, 1936
Taken from the air towards the East North East.
Stanley Blvd comes in from the bottom left corner, and curves into First Street.
There are two sets of railroad tracks.  One is about where the tracks are now, the other set is the old SP tracks that were moved in the 70s, and later abandoned.
Note that First Street takes a hard jog at Livermore Ave.  The curve was put in later.
The flagpole can only be seen on an extreme closeup, but it is at its original location in this picture.  It was moved 15-20 feet south in 1959.
East First Street takes the "Old First Street" path here.  It now takes a turn at the SP (right most) tracks, replacing the tracks for a bit, before turning north to go over the WP tracks and reconnecting to the original path.
At the very top of the picture, 1st St. is on the left with Portola running into it from the left at a diagonal.   Just beyond that point is the Coast Manufacturing Safety Fuse facility, which is now the Trevarno Road area.  The manufacturing area itself is on the right side of the railroad tracks.  That is now Hexcell Corporation.
College Ave is on the right going diagonal to other streets.
The beginnings of Holmes is at the bottom middle.  The triangle that is now Centennial Park can be seen as Homes breaks off from South S Street (which now does not connect to Holmes).


Livermore, California looking South West in 1963. Lawrence Livermore Lab is on the left, Sandia National Lab is on the right.  The 4th side has not yet been added to the Sandia Engineering building. The intersection near the lower right is Vasco Rd. and East Ave.

Next Page

Photo of Early Livermore Cover Page The Book
Early Livermore
contains 128 pages of Livermore Historical photos and commentary.
It is available for 19.99 plus tax at the
Livermore Heritage Guild History Center at the Carnegie Building.
Click here for more information

About These Photos  

Web Page Copyright 2003 eLivermore.com