Livermore History - Aerial Photos 3
Page 1: ~1960 photo with labeled buildings
Page 2: ~1955 photo with labeled buildings and streets
Page 3: Drawing from 1889.
Page 4: 1993 USGS Aerial Photo with labels
Page 5: Junction Ave School ~ late 1970s, East 1st ~1976
Page 6: East Ave, 1963; Downtown ~1928
Page 7: Junction Ave & downtown; downtown about 1930
Page 8: 1936 Photo, 1963 photo of the Labs.
Page 9: The Airport prior to 1969
Page 10: Veterans Hospital.
Poster of Livermore from 1889
Livermore Valley, California
In January 1889, Looking Southwest (the drawing actually states "Southeast")
Published by William Pitt Bartlett, who owned the Livermore Herald at the time.
The bottom photo is a close up of the center of town from the poster.
Areas and buildings are numbered throughout, some of which can be made out at the resolution of the bottom photo.
There is a good copy of this poster on display at the History Center. It is a valuable source of information.
The numbered key and text are reprinted below.
The old railroad turntable, used to turn around extra engines that were used to climb the altamont pass, can bee seen near the top right, on one of the branches which split off from the main track in front of the engine. This drawing has trains coming in both directions!!
St. Michaels church (#49) can be seen near the bottom, just to the right of the train approaching from the bottom left. This building burned in 1916.
The railroad tracks are the old set, run by the
Central Pacific (later Southern Pacific). Railroad Ave. can be seen north
of the tracks. The street to the north (right) of Railroad Ave. is Oak
Street (it is labeled). The WP tracks were built on what used to be Oak
Street. This street no longer exists except for a small portion along the
This list is copied from the poster
Items in bold are buildings which are still standing (it might be an incomplete list)
|1 Pine Ridge - 4000 feet.
2 Vallecitos Pass
3 C. A. Wetmore's Cresta Blanca Estate
Olive, Fig, and Peach Orchards and
4 Mansion of Dr. Wm. Hammond
5 F.L. Fowler's High-type Vineyard
6 F.P. Smith's "Olivina" Vineyard and Cellars 625 acres in vines
7 A Duvall's "Bellevue" Vineyard and Cellars 179 acres
8 John Crellin's "Ruby Hill" Vineyard and
Cellar - 200 acres
9 Rose Vineyard - 250 acres
10 Town of Pleasanton
11 Rose-Black Tracts
12 Hatch and Camron Almond Orchards
13 J. H. Wheeler's "Cornelia" Orchard and
14 Inman Vineyard - 100 acres
15 A.G. Chauche's "Mont Rouge" Vineyard and Cellar.
16 Wallace Everson's Orchard and
Vineyard - 120 acres
17 Vineyard of S. Osterhout
18 Arlington Vineyard and 190 acre
Almond Orchard - A.T. Hatch & Co.
|19 C.A. Buckley's "Ravenswood" Estate
20 H.B. Wagoner's Winery and Vineyard
21 The Black Estate's "Lometas" Vineyard
22 Vineyard of Prof. E.O. Locke
23 Vineyard and Cellar of Eugene Paris
24 Vineyard of D.G. Paul
25 Vineyard of C.C. Clay
26 Vineyard of P.C. Waltenbaugh
27 Vineyard of J. Stevenson
28 Vineyard of C. G. Sperry.
29 Vineyard of Black (Estate)
30 Vineyard of C.J. Wetmore
31 Vineyard of Howard Black
32 Vineyard of Hans Thonesen
33 Vineyard of N. Lorrain
34 Vineyard of Mrs. S.C. Sanford
35 Vineyard of J.M. Davis
36 Vineyard of Mrs. C.O. Patterson
38 Residence of Col. G.C. Edwards
39 Vineyard of Timothy Hayes
40 Vineyard of Gould, Gordon, & Co.
41 Vineyard of D.M. Teeter.
42 Vineyard of O.R. Groth
43 Residence of Hon. Daniel Inman
44 Residence of Maas Lunders.
45 Livermore College
46 Public School Building
|47 Presbyterian Church
48 M.E. Church
49 Catholic Church
50 Odd Fellows Building
51 Engine House
52 Depot C.P.R.R
53 Brammer's Agricultural Works
54 Aylward's Hay Press and Gate Factory
55 Holmes' Agricultural Works
56 Jordan's Brewery.
57 Livermore Flouring Mills
58 Rickey's Planing Mills
59 Farmers' Union Building
60 McLeod Block
61 Anspacher's Store and Warehouse
62 Horton & Kennedy's Lumber Yard.
63 Livermore Warehouse Co. Warehouses
64 Washington Hotel
65 Livermore Hotel
66 Farmers Exchange Hotel
67 Morning Star Hotel
68 Bank of Livermore
69 Gardemeyer Block
71 Pioneer Winery and Vineyard
72 S Klarenmeyer's Orchard
73 Pleasanton Mountains, which ward off
fogs from Livermore Valley
74 Livermore Division C.P.R.R
#3, Cresta Blanca, may have some structures remaining.
#8, Ruby Hill. Building demolished in 2002 and replica built nearby.
#67, Morning Star Hotel became the Valley Hotel. The building in the poster no longer exists, but a later annex remains.
The following descriptions are on the poster
Is a saucer-like basin in the heart of the Coast Range of Mountains, 40 miles east of San Francisco. It is hemmed in by high, rolling hills, and lofty and rugged mountain ridges, on every side. An altitude of 500 feet above sea level, ensures pure air and freedom from frosts; a location midway between the sea coast and the great valleys of the interior renders it free from the cold and fogs of the one, and the intense summer heat of the other. There is no irrigation - consequently, no miasma. The lofty wall-like ridges tot he right of the picture hold back the coast fogs, and on more than a hundred days in each year, then San Francisco is wrapped in chilly damp and mist, Livermore Valley is bathed in charming sunshine. The air is dry, sparkling and pure, and has won back to health hundreds of invalids, to whom San Francisco's fogs and winds were bringing certain death.
VINEYARD PLANTING begin in Livermore Valley in1882. The discovery that certain orchard trees succeed was made but two years ago. There are now 6,000 acres of vineyard, mostly in bearing, and 1,500 of young orchard - mainly almonds, apricots and pears. But a portion is shown in the above view. The planting progresses at the rate of 1,000 acres a year. The wine output in1888 was upwards of 500,000 gallons. Only the best European varieties have been planted. Livermore Valley wines have for three years taken high rank in annual competitions at State Viticultural Conventions.
Town of Livermore.
The town of Livermore is situated in the center of the valley. Its population is 1880, was 855; in 1888, 2500. Its resources are various - stock and sheep raising, grain and hay growing, orcharding, vine-growing, and coal and chrome-mining, being the most prominent. It has numerous manufacturers, turning out in 1888, $500,000 worth of perfected products. Has a rapidly developing tributary country of upwards of 600 square miles of territory. The town is built on a gravelly loam foundation, making perfect roadways, summer or winter. There ore many charming mountain canyons, offering inviting drives at all seasons. The Aqua de Vida Springs, a mountain health and pleasure resort, 10 miles distant, opened last season, became very popular, attracting many of the most prominent people of the State.
Town of Pleasanton.
At the west end of the beautiful Livermore Valley, shown in the distance, at the extreme right of the picture is a tract of rich, deep, moist alluvial land, several thousand acres in extent; contiguous to the town of Pleasanton. This land, formerly all a willow swamp, is now being drained, cleared and tilled. The lower marginal view of Pleasanton and the Rose-Black Tracts, shows this rich country and the extent of its reclamation and cultivation. The range and extend of its product, seem almost without limit. The sketch of a sample group of vegetables scarcely does justice to the reality and is certainly in no wise exaggerated. A canal 3 1/2 miles long, is in course of constructions which will not only drain these lands, but protect them from all danger from overflow. Pleasanton is a charming town embowered in foliage, and the productiveness of its soil is marvelous.
contains 128 pages of Livermore Historical photos and commentary.
It is available for 19.99 plus tax at the
Livermore Heritage Guild History Center at the Carnegie Building
Click here for more information
|About These Photos|